One of my friend’s posted a picture of her homemade carnitas the other day, and they sounded soooo good! I didn’t have pork on hand, but I did have a half a pineapple and some chicken, so I figured “why not”? Served with corn or flour tortillas or a side of rice, and it’s a satisfying super yummy meal!
Makes 2 servings
- 8 oz thoroughly rinsed and drained chicken (shredded)
- 1/2 cup diced green onions
- 1/8 cup brown sugar/Splenda blend
- 2/3 cup (4 oz) chopped pineapple
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 squeezed medium lime
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tbs chili powder
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Add a tbs of olive oil to pan and heat over medium. Dice or thinly slice green onions and pineapple and add both to the pan.
- Add spices and stir.
- Rinse and drain chicken thoroughly.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the pan, stir, cover, and let simmer on medium low for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with a side salad, cheese, Greek yogurt, and tortillas if desired (not included in nutritional breakdown)
Note: You can also add all ingredients to a slow cooker and let it simmer throughout the day.
- Calories 293
- Total Fat 9.09g
- Sodium 678.7mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.69g
- Dietary Fiber 2.46g
- Sugars 18.58g
- Protein 27.2g